Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fruits and veggies Galore!

Everywhere you go around Lilongwe, you can see guys selling fresh fruits and veggies.  I guess they buy them from the market and sell them for a small profit.  Anyways, it's quite convenient, avoids a trip to the grocery store and allows you to get fresh fruits and veggies anytime you need them.

This afternoon, upon leaving school after a long day of teaching, working and parent teacher conferences, we all loaded the Tank and headed back home.  We usually don't drive to school, as the walk is only about 5 minutes...but the rain and the threat of more rain made a vehicle more convenient.

So, we are pulling out of the school gate and I see the merchants peddling their goods... I wave at them as we needed bananas, lean forward to grab some money from my purse and raise back up and look at the window!  At that time, I fell out laughing... I had 5 guys who had RUSHED to the car to sell their goods, their arms loaded with their goods RIGHT under my nose on the other side of the window...the choices tday were tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, bananas, strawberries, potatoes and garlic. 
After some haggling over the prices (it's expected and necessary, as they always start real high), I decided on a large bunch of bananas and some cucumbers.  The strawberries looked yummy too...tempting and after haggling, he still wasn't meeting my target price...so, we were driving off when he said "OK! "  No regrets on that impulse buy...yummy delicious and sweet berries for dessert tonight!
Got to love the convenience and the prices... 800 MK or about 5 USD for a HUGE bunch of bananas, over 1.5 kgs of stawberries and 3 huge cucumbers!  No wonder we eat so much more fruits and veggies here...

No comments:

Post a Comment