Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Already two years!

Wow, I can't believe it's already been almost two years since we moved to Malawi.  So much has happened in the past 24 months, while it seems it's truly been a few months.  Time flies when you're having fun!  Emma and Alex have grown a lot, physically and mentally, while I've had the chance to work and live in one of the most beautiful countries (and one of the best kept secrets) in Africa!
Malawi offers the best of it all: plains, plateaus, mountains, hills, National Park and safaris, and let's not forget its largest attraction the majestic Lake Malawi.

I'm currently on holiday back in the USA and have the joy to visit with friends who are all wanting to hear about what it's like to live in the middle of Africa, how we deal with water and power cuts, with lack of petrol and diesel at times, with shortages in foreign currencies...  Well, you know, honestly, you learn to live with that and you adapt.  The pace of life in Malawi is much more relaxed than in the west, a commute to work for me (and the children) is at worst 10 minute walk and not having to fight any kind of traffic on the way to work.

For those who know me, I think Malawi has succeeded in calming me down...  I know, some may snicker at that, but it has!  There is no point to worry endlessly about what could happen.  Just take it one day at the time and it will all work out!  Live in the now!  Tomorrow will be soon enough to discover the future.

Being back in the USA is a little overwhelming.  I'm trying to do a good bit of shopping for stuff you can't buy in Malawi, but going from store to store is just too much!  The shelving is so packed with a multitude of choices...  How on earth do people ever get to do their grocery shopping in one hour.  I've been limiting myself to one store at the time...

Oh, and for those who don't know, I've signed another 2 year contract, so we will be back for more African adventures, and I will try to post more regularly to the blog...  Haven't been doing too good the last few months..  So stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment