Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Green, please!

Go to any bar or restaurant and you can order a Green. So what is this famous Green? It's a bottle of ordinary Carlsberg beer, brewed in Malawi. Officially opened on 14th December 1968 , Carlsberg Malawi Brewery Limited (CMBL) was the first Carlsberg brewery outside Denmark. Up to this day, it is still the only brewing and beer packaging facility in Malawi and still owns a 97 percent market share! It's a
Complete Carlsberg monopoly in the country.
Being from Belgium myself you'd think I am a beer connoisseur.. I like a beer once in a while but not the ordinary beer. I'm more of a Jupiler, Kriek or Hoegaarden type of girl.
Nonetheless, I've tried drinking a Green and really just don't care for it. I think for one it has to do with what I perceive an inconsistency quality.
Even the bottles are inconsistent! Check out the photo- same bar, same crate, two bottle designs!
Most people here do enjoy their Green... Unless there is a shortage, which has happened a few times in the past year! Those shortages don't make people happy.
So next time you're in Malawi, grab a Green, have a sundowner with friends and enjoy the Warm Heart of Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment